The Fundamental Guide to Digital Etiquette
Understand what is digital etiquette
Digital etiquette is a bunch of implied principles & customs that describe how we behave & communicate online—the digital equal of holding the door open or offering up your seat for somebody.
This is not a rule book to follow but instead, a guide to assist you in navigating the choppy waters of digital communication—to help you grow healthier, happier, & more fruitful working relationships.
Why is digital etiquette essential?
The shift to online communication has meant all the non-verbal signals we relied on in the past—like body language, hand gestures, and facial expressions—now have to be decrypted on a screen. Without the proper digital ground rules in place, misunderstanding, misinterpretation, & miscommunication can take root rapidly across. Implanting digital etiquette routines at the heart of your culture will enable an environment where your people feel valued, visible, & respected.
Know the Communication Zones
PUBLIC- something one would say to anyone.
TYPE OF AUDIENCE - content that could be shared with teachers, friends, or people you trust.
PRIVATE - something which can be shared with family or is personal.
Tips on Digital Etiquette
1) Think before sending any message, post, or content on social media. Keep the audience group in mind. Don't post anything that you don't want to last forever. Think of your digital footmark just as a driving record—all your infringements are traceable.
2) Check all the facts before posting.
3) Keep personal information private. Respect everyone's privacy.
4) Remember to be kind. Do not say/share anything you would not do on anyone's face. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
5) Choose friends wisely.
6) Do not believe everything you read.
7) Sidestep digital drama. Instant messaging, texting & posting statements online are all in instant communication. Understanding to exit the conversation when things are getting rude or mean.
8) Sidestep checking messages & devices 24/7. Turn off all digital devices before getting into bed & leave them to ‘sleep’ away from the bedroom to avoid the lure of checking posts.
9) Make sure privacy settings are explained to you & put into place for safety security.
#digitaletiquette #didgitalmanners #manners #online #communication